Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

The Devil's Advocate !

They say that she is your mirror that shines back at you with a world of possibilities, she is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best and loves you anyway. She is a partner in crime, a midnight companion one who knows when you are smiling in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink, and she is also sometimes the reason you wish you were an only child ! No reward for the correct answer there - she has to be your sister.

no truer words were ever spoken !

with this blog today i share with you a few reminiscences of my being (read survival) with my sister. I was the first born in my family and for two good years an only child. As every first born I was mollycoddled and indulged by my parents. This prerogative was however ephemeral, as i was to be presented with not one but TWO younger sisters. This is the ode to the elder one of the two.

I was too young to conjure up here the exact reaction on hearing the birth of my sister, but my parents never however fail to recount the memoirs of those formative years- I would stand up at the balcony of our house in Ajmer and would enumerate the plight of being an elder sister to all the animals: calves, dogs, puppies and the likes, ( though calves were a favorite)  the homo sapiens were way too occupied to listen to the rues of a two year old. This is "what my parents say" i said : " My younger sister cannot eat and drink, she cannot even speak cannot walk and talk and that is why she always stays close to my mom" I find it extremely difficult to envisage me saying anything like that but have no proof to invalidate that.


Well my whining and lamenting had some progressive results. In my sister I got an ardent and an earnest companion and advocate ( hence the defense attorney in Bold). She would repeat the last word of everything i would say, clap on seeing me on stage at the annual day, give up eating curd and the likes and may be it was this abiding attempt of hers that i had to moderate,  yield and accept her as my younger sister.She has not given it up yet, though only the articulation has somewhat changed. What di does is right and fit to be followed !!! Come on where do you get such sisters in the 21st century !

She might rant and storm about what i am going to write next, but rest assured every word of it is true. Over the years we have been  very mainstream conventional sisters: went in different lines of work, had different dispositions and opinions, she grew up to be a very intelligent, independent person but the sister in her has continued to be the champion of my causes and an inadvertent follower of it too. Here goes the example: I write a blog and she has off late started to write one too, here the link if you have doubts.
:http://ameanderingamazon.blogspot.com/
she would come up with all sorts of veneers against this, but trust me i know better :P


I can site more  examples here but frankly speaking who would like to antagonize a God sent gift like her !


Liebe Grüße
Suyasha






9 comments:

  1. Very nice...very personal...made me remember my childhood and relationship with my two younger sisters... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have left nothing you remember.but i am with you.because if there is a choice between you and any other closest relation of her she would definitely be on your side without listening to . you are so lucky to have a sister like her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a brother younger to me by 4 years and my story is not entirely different from yours .Congrats page hits touched a millenary !!!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whether to take a bow or run into hiding.. :P

    a wise man once said "When you are the anvil BEAR, when you are the hammer STRIKE.. "

    ladies and gentlemen! before you decide, please wait for my side of the story.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see an elder sibling's point of view....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teaser.. :P

    coming soon:
    "The Great Family Drama..Sisterly Ties and Lies"

    catch the uncensored version .. exclusive on.. ameanderingamazon.blogspot.com :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miti: My sincerest advise... dont open the Pandora's Box on a blog about ur sis..... HUGE mistake.... She can definately write 15 times more about you and ur antics

    ReplyDelete
  8. @anamika - nicely written...only one problem - looks more like an Orkut testimonial :P...besides I have problems with the 'intelligent person' part in the blog :D

    @survika - oh yes!...the Antics of Amazon...world fanous I tell you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. well i would like to support the cause of the younger sister any time, but, its a little difficult for me to deny the obvious truth. Having such photocopying skills is an amazing quality. Hats off to your sister ;). Also I agree with the anonymous view - She would always be on your side no matter who is there on the other side of the argument.. have suffered a lot consequently you see!!! Loved the last illustration of her abilities in the form of her blog :D :D
    @ Survika - you never know who has opened the Pandora's Box against themselves. Let the meandiring amazon tell her side of the story.. she might unfold many more interesting secrets :P

    ReplyDelete