Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ode to the Joy of Reading

I am profoundly disappointed with the standard of journalism in India. Much to my chagrin they have got all their priorities wrong. What Sania Mirza does even in Lahore grabs the headlines but what inflation does, is none of their concerns. They say public memories are ephemeral, I beg to differ, they are not ! Newspapers make a vicious attempt to do so. The news moves from the first page to the 3rd and then to a meager column on the 10th page where it escapes from an average reader's notice.

I didn't start this blog for proliferation of melancholyand intend to write on something that makes me happy; reading gives me immense pleasure hence i will write about some of the latest reads.

I will start in a chronological order:

1. The Audacity of Hope by Barak Obama: I till date don't know what made me read that book. Its just not relevant even in American context. Its just a way too Utopian. The Americans were certainly deceived in the man. A good orator and writer does not necessarily make a good administrator and politician. If I go only by the evaluation of the content of the book then also the book is a disappointment for anyone living outside America, even for America because what he thinks is just not pragmatic. Its just a more verbose pamphlet of a Democract candidate, as he was then. Those who have lauded praises on the book must have been beguiled by the man.

2. Life of Pi : a Booker Prize winning book by Yann Martel. It was a captivating read. I say this because I finished the book in one night. I didn't like the book when I started it, especially the protagonist's take on religion but the story picks up gradually and after that there is no keeping it down. The story is real and surreal at the same time. I don't know how writers manage to do that. By all means a one time read just don't expect it to be true. Infact before this book I was prejudiced against the prize winning authors. They complicate the plot too much. This was a very welcome change.

3. Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister: is a satirical political sitcom by Sir Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn. I have forgotten the number of times i have read this book. I guess I read it once every quarter. My colleague says that even on my death bed I will request that a Chapter from the book be read out to me. do I need to say more. According to me its the finest book ever written, I love everything about the book, the language, the characters, the plot. The book was made into a serial on the BBC too and was devoured by the then British Prime Minister, Margret Thatcher who also makes an appearance in one of its episodes. However the serial just can't replace the book. So if you give my recommendations any weight go and grab your own copy .

you can thank me later !!!

Aufwiedersehen
suyasha

2 comments:

  1. Your blog made me smile. It almost looks as you are promoting British politicians to American ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you that journalism is becoming crapier every passing day. Worst are the online news websites, they forget to refresh their pages as the information in general looks the same - IPL fashion (and not 'real' cricket), Who killed whom, Which baba is in limelight, What did the politicians said on their Twitter page and the list goes on. The main news or I would say relevant news is lost in the "bigger" colorful pictures.....

    ReplyDelete