Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page"

Yeah i know i claimed that this blog is going to be about current affairs, but the IPL has been hogging the limelight for so long now that i have decided to take a sabbatical.

I have decided to move to another topic close to my heart : Travel !
but since I am a maverick at heart my ideas of travel might not confirm to the normal standards of tourism so the list might seem to you what shall i say "avant garde".

I have been born in India so the country deserves the right to be explored first; i have selected 5 places which might be or might not be "tourist attractions"

1. Konark: The sun God is my favorite; It has an aura that commands respect and is at the same time benevolent, so it deserved to be first on my list. Words don't do justice to the architecture of the place and its rightly known to be the place where the language of stone surpasses the language of man.

2. Meghalaya: The Switzerland of the Orient is the next on my wish list. Its a less explored destination which makes it all the more necessary to be seen in its pristine form.

3. Nalanda: The seat of knowledge and a melting pot of scholars from all over the world, even the ruins have the power to transport you to a completely different era. The place was understood to be insatiable in imparting knowledge.
(Takshshila would have been my priority but courtesy a lot of things i have to be satisfied with seeing Nalanda).

4. Sarnath: The place of pilgrim for the Jains and Buddhists holds a completely different connotation to me. its the place from where we derive the symbol that signifies India; the lion capital. I don't know about you all but the very sight of the lion capital mounted on a pillar fills my heart with awe and reverence.
If its so majestic on a computer screen how majestic it would be in reality I can't even fathom.....

5. Jim Corbett National Park: Most of you would have understood me now to be a predominantly an "ancient History of India " student, but I have another area of interest and that is nature, Jim Corbett is any adventure seekers paradise. the very Royal Bengal Tigers in its abode is not to be missed for anything.

I know my wish list was a completely different take on tourism but i forewarned you I was bit of an Iconoclast !!!


Suyasha

4 comments:

  1. Reading this blog entry makes me wish I wasn't so prejudiced about the travelling part. I always think the worst when thinking about travelling long distances in India, and your blog makes me realise what I am missing out on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyaaaa... so want to blog myself... im in if u wish to pack ur bags n travel to these places.. been to jim Corbett though ... n u hv ignited my latent desire to see d north East my self:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. north east is where i wanna be too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this re-ignited my wanderlust!

    ReplyDelete